Friday, January 31, 2014

"just a book"

When I started out on this latest journey that I am on with HIM, I had just read the entire New Testament, and something within me stirred, and the craving for "more" began to overwhelm me.  Daily I would read HIS word, and soon my bible became so much more than "just a book," to me, it became my way of life.

HIS Daily Teachings today was to remind me that while I don't always see it that way, HIS word, HIS truth, is so much more than, "just a book."  Throughout the past 9 months I have had several people say to me, "I tried reading the bible, and it doesn't make sense to me.  All the bible is, is a book full of regulations and rules, to show me how bad I am.  I don't like the way it talks, it doesn't make sense, and how could it ever apply to my life?  It's "just a book," that is filled with stories, and of other people's interpretations of GOD and what HE has done.  How do you really know that it is GOD who is talking to you, and how do you hear HIM?"

As I began to meditate on knowing that HIS word, HIS gift to me is more than "just a book," HE blessed me with this very thought, written beautifully by Kay Warren in "Choose JOY"

"GOD uses dark times in our lives to reveal HIS Majesty, to show us that HE is the Creator, the Sustainer, the Deliverer, the Redeemer.  HE is the Almighty, the Everlasting One, the source of life.  HE is above us, HE is the one we can run to."

How comforting it is to me, to know that HE is all of those things, and that I have been able to witness to each and everyone of those, all through HIS word, HIS gift, HIS JOY, all because HE has given me the eyes, and the knowledge to know that my bible is so much more than, "just a book."

HE is wanting me to know that HIS word is TRUTH, the only TRUTH that I will ever need to know and ever need to hear.  HE is teaching me that HIS word is the solid rock foundation of which I am to base my life on.  I know this to be true, as when HE began to take me through the breakthrough in my walk with HIM, some day's HIS word was the only thing that kept me going.  In the times where I have fallen so hard on my face, and I was so blinded by my tears, HE was there, filling me with HIS word, encouraging me, filling me with HIS hope, and blessing me with HIS joy.

When I think back to the time during my pregnancy with my second son, I know that HE was there, every single moment.  I had many difficulties in my pregnancy, starting from day 1.  In the times where I doubted, cried, and agonized of what to do, HE was there, leading me every single step of the way.  It didn't matter what book I read, or what song I listened to, or what message the Pastor gave at church, it was all theme related, and was designed specifically to help me through the very things that threatened mine and my unborn son's existence.

I am thankful that I have been able to experience a life being blessed by HIS joy, as I am learning that HIS JOY is the only true source for my strength.  HE is wanting me to know and understand HIM in a way that I will speak only HIS truth, and that is that HIS truth, HIS word, HIS gift, is the only thing I can truly rely on.

HE is reminding me today that my bible, HIS gift to me, is the only thing that I can rely on, as everyone in my life, my husband, my children, my family, my friends, my pastor, my church, EVERYTHING will let me down, and disappoint me at some point or another.  This is hard for me, as I have come to rely on all of those things to help me get through this life that I have been given to live.  Reading, and knowing that in the end we all fall short of the GLORY of GOD blows my mind.  Even when I "think" someone is a good person, when I read what HIS word tells me, even the most RIGHTEOUS person falls short.  

HE is wanting me to know HIS truth is not to break my relationships, and faith in people, but rather build my dependence on HIM teaching, leading, and guiding me.  HE is telling me that the only source of happiness, and hope and JOY that I need to be seeking is through HIM.  I am learning that I am able to understand what this means, because my bible has become so much more than "just a book" to me. 

HE is teaching me that I must write HIS words on my heart, and speak of them often.   HE is telling me that I must meditate on HIS word daily, so that when the storms rage, and the waters rise in my life, I will turn to the only source of strength that I need.   Today HE is reminding me of how much I need HIM, through a song by Bethany Dillon "All I need" 

"When the day is done. And there's no one else around.  While I'm lying here in bed,  You're in my heart, You're in my head,  You're all I need, You're all I need.  There are a million voices.  Calling out my name.  But You're the One I want to hear,  So make the others disappear.  You are all I need, when I'm surrounded.  You are all I need,  if I'm by myself.  You fill me when I'm empty,  There is nothing else  You're all I need "

HE is teaching me that HIS word, is NOT just to show me all that I have done wrong, and have been doing wrong, but rather to fill me with HIS peace, HIS hope that my soul craves.  HE is wanting be to filled by HIS "Blessed Assurance" that HE is there, in the midst of my happiness, and my sorrow.  HE is wanting me to to make HIS word, HIS gift to me, my bible to be my "go to" source for strength, hope, peace, love, joy, mercy, grace, and forgiveness.  

HE is reminding me that HE made me exactly the way that I am, and HE knows how I handle things, and how I react to things happening to me in my life.  I have been able to learn this through HIS word, HIS Daily Teachings for my life, are to show me just how well HE knows me.  Through the daily themes of which HE has placed in my life, through the people, and books that HE has blessed me with to show me, exactly what HIS plans, and HIS purpose is for my life.  I am thankful that HE pursues me as much as HE does, as I would have given up on myself a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure other people would have as well.   

"But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold." Job 23:10

"When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight,
for I bear your name, Lord God Almighty." Jeremiah 15:16

I am thankful that when my words fail me to describe what HIS word means to me, I  know all I have to do is open HIS gift, my bible and the words will come spilling out, and HIS truth will be shared.  I am comforted by HIS word this morning that HIS way is the only way for my life, and I know this because HIS word has become so much more to me than "just a book."

"The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes." Psalm 19:8

"Your statutes are my heritage forever;they are the joy of my heart." Psalm 119:111

"Do good to your servant according to your word, Lord.Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I trust your commands. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold." Psalm 119:65-72

I pray today that when you seek HIM, you will find HIM, and you will come to know that  your bible is so much more than "just a book."  I pray that you will know that HIS word, is HIS gift to you.  I pray that you will have the courage to seek HIM, and to know HIM, so that you too can be filled with HIS joy, HIS hope, HIS love, HIS grace, HIS mercy, and HIS forgiveness.  I pray that you will come to know that HE truly is your only source for true strength, and that you will know that when all else falls away from your life, HE is there, HE is waiting, waiting for you to seek HIM, to know HIM, all through HIS gift to you, which is so much more than "just a book."

Blessings,
Heather 



No comments:

Post a Comment