Wednesday, September 11, 2013

what matters the most....

This morning I woke up with a heavy heart.  I woke up feeling as if though I was to type out some sort of tribute to all the families, and friends who were affected by 9-11-01.   When the truth of the matter is that we were all affected in some way.  Maybe not right away for some of us, but eventually it would hit home in ways that we cannot comprehend.

HIS Daily Teachings this morning is to remind me about what truly matters the most.  From the many stories that were told of the brave lives that were lost in the terrorist attacks on 9-11-01 there was one common theme: What Matters the Most.  In each of the stories, the people who perished lived lives filled with integrity, honor, and dignity.  Lives that left amazing legacies for their families.  Today GOD revealed to me that in order to truly leave a loving, and lasting legacy for my family I must understand what truly matters the most.

This morning as I began to think about all the things I needed to complete today, GOD reminded me that first and foremost what matters the most is that I am Mama.  This means that even though I am cleaning my house, and packing, I must set aside time for my boys and take them outside to play.  I must hold my littlest son in my arms as he drinks his bottle.  I must get on the floor and play cars and trucks with my other son.  I must take time to sit, and read books to them.  Today I am learning that I must do all of those things, as my time with my two little boys is so fleeting.  I was reminded of that last night as my oldest daughter came through the door with her homecoming dress in her hands.  All too quickly she grew up, and sadly I didn't realize soon enough what truly matters the most.  Today I am heeding HIS "whisper" and I am going to STOP doing what I think matters, and DO what HE is telling what matters the most.

One area where I fall into the trap of losing sight of what matters most, is my need to impress.  GOD is placing it heavy on my heart, that this life is truly NOT about me.  It is about HIS good works that HE wants to complete through me.  It is about bringing HIS kingdom of Heaven here to earth.  It is about letting go of my incessant need to "appear" to have it all together.  Rather it is about blessing others.  Being a blessing to others.  Seeking HIM daily and asking HIM to teach, lead, and guide me through every single moment of my day, so that it will be all for HIS glory and NOT mine!

Today I am letting go of my incessant "need" to please people.  Today I am going to do what HE calls me to do.  Today what matters the most is that I do what HE wants me to do, and NOT what other's want me to do.  Today I am going to keep one ear open to Heaven so that I will be able to hear HIS "whispers" about what matters the most.

Today I am letting go of my insecurities of feeling unqualified to walk the path that HE has chosen for me. Today I am going to meditate on this: "GOD doesn't call the equipped, HE equips the called!"  Today I am going to lean on HIM for HIS understanding, and allow HIM to lead me so that I will be able to truly understand that it is HIS purpose for my life that matters the most.  Today I am saying YES to GOD no matter what I may feel, or what other's may "think."  Today I will let go of my incessant "need" to be liked.  I will seek HIM and be comforted by what HE says about me.

Today I am putting my relationship with HIM first.  I am seeking HIM, and HIS will for my life.  Today I am boldly declaring that HE is my number #1, and that there is no one about HIM in my life.  Today I am protected my special time with my SAVIOR, and putting my foot down and NOT allowing our time to be disrupted.  Today I woke up almost two hours earlier than my family so that I could receive HIS Daily Teaching for my life today.

Today I am putting my health as one of my top priorities.  I am choosing my health once again, as I have learned that when I don't take care of Mama, I cannot take care of anyone else.  I have learned that when I don't exercise at least 3 times a week, I become sick, and sleepy all of the time.  I have learned that when I choose to not put my health first,GOD can't and won't use me to my full potential until I start making my health a priority.  Today I am choosing to see what matters the most in taking care of ME.

Another area where I struggle is extending grace when I am interrupted, in what I "feel" is important.  For example, when I am typing my blog I need there to be total peace and quiet.  I am very selfish when it comes to my "me time."  I also struggle with extending grace when my workout time is interrupted by one of my children.  I become upset, and soon lost focus.  Today I am going to do what matters the most, and if one of my children, or friends needs a hug, or a prayer, I am not going to "lose it," rather I am going to see it as an amazing opportunity to spread GOD'S love and grace all around me.  Today I am learning what matters the most is NOT what I "think," but rather what HE knows!

A while ago GOD let me know that HE wanted me to start viewing each day as a gift.  HE wanted me to start to see things as HIS creation, and HIS gift to me.  I have never been an outdoorsy person, so naturally I don't really enjoy being in the sun, or with bugs, or dirt, or anything that is unclean.  In the past I have cringed as my children have gotten dirty and "ruined" their clothes.  Today I am learning that being out in HIS creation, and truly living in it, is what matters the most.  Today I am letting go of my incessant "need" to control everything, and view each day as a gift, not another something that I need to manage.

Today I am seeking HIS provision for my life.  The uncertainty is looming heavily on our family, and I will admit has been frightening at times.  I know that GOD is going to show up in  BIG way for us, but the waiting has been really hard for me.  I know that my children are watching me, and waiting to see how Mama handles herself in the valley she is in.  Today I am letting go of my "need" to control, and I will practice patience while waiting for HIM.  Today HE is revealing to me what matters the most is NOT what I know, but rather what HIS plans are for my life.  Once again HE is asking me to meditate on Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Today I am NOT going to let myself get so "wrapped up" in the busyness that is my life.  Today I am going to stop and seek HIM in everything I do.  Today I am going to put on my "listening ears," and heed HIS "whispers" as to what truly matters the most in my life.  Today I am seeking HIM and asking HIM to use me as a vessel to be the hands and feet of JESUS.

Today I am NOT going to rush anyone, myself included!  I am always in a hurry, and today HE is revealing to me that it doesn't matter when I get there, what matter's is how I get there.  HE is letting me know that if I arrived at my destination by belittling, and yelling, cursing, and anything less than GOD honoring, then I have totally missed out on what HIS purpose was for the direction that HE is taking me.  Today I am learning that it's not about how fast I get there, its about doing what matter the most to HIM, and bringing praise, honor, and glory to HIS mighty and just name!

In January GOD began to work on me and let me know that while HE knew I was comfortable in my surroundings, HE was ready to take me even further in my walk with HIM.  HE placed it very heavy on D and my heart that we were to lead our own small group at our church.  HE let me know that HE wasn't really seeking to keep me comfortable, but rather seeking to keep me fully relied on HIM.  Today HE is reminding me once again, that HE is never seeking to keep me comfortable, but is rather more interested in stretching and growing my faith in HIM.  Today I am learning that HIS plans for my life are what truly matters the most!

Three and half months ago my pastor at church began to preach about being teachable.  At the time I didn't fully understand what that meant, however I felt as if though HIS HOLY SPIRIT was speaking through him, in telling me that I needed to be more teachable.  GOD let me know that HE couldn't use me in a BIG way until I surrendered and let HIM teach, lead, and guide me through every single moment of my life.  Today HE has reminded me once again that being teachable by HIM is what matters the most.

If you know me personally you know that I am NOT a person that adapts well to quick change.  For example, I worked hard on my home yesterday, unpacking, laundry, dishes, cleaning, and even found time to make a very nice dinner.  At around 2:30 p.m. I received a phone call from our Landlord asking if he could possibly show our house at 5:30 p.m.  Not wanting to displease him, I agreed, and quickly set about the task of "staging" our house.   Which of course is no easy feat with five children, and with just three hours notice.  While I didn't fall apart in the worst way, I did start to unravel.  Today HE is reminding me that I must be flexible in order to adapt to quick change.  HE has let me know that everything that happens in my life is for HIS purpose.  I must trust and understand that though I may "feel" inconvenienced, I must seek HIM to reveal to me what matters most in those moments.

As I started to unravel at the very thought of "staging" our home, it hit me, I am "staging" our home, when we don't even have a home to move into in less than three weeks.  Before I realized it, I began to sob, "why GOD why are you making us wait?"  The fear of the unknown has been overwhelming powerful on my life.  Today HE is letting me know that I must choose self control and NOT allow myself to unravel when things are not going "my way."  Today HE is teaching me the importance of remaining faithful in my uncertainty, by NOT allowing myself to unravel.  Today HE has revealed to me what matters the most is that I practice self-control when I enter uncharted waters.

This next subject is tough for me to talk about, and worse to admit.  Being a gossip and allowing gossip in my heart is something I struggle with.  I like most other people enjoy juicy gossip.  However, HE has revealed to me this morning that I must not fall into the trap of being a gossip.  I must rebuke it and speak HIS truth.  I must resist the urge to join in, or bring to the conversation gossip.  I must understand that HIS truth is what matters the most.

Today I am learning that in order to live a life based on what truly matters the most, I must seek HIS peace.  A peace that surpasses anything of this world.  I must allow HIS peace to fill my heart in my times of uncertainty, and I must meditate on HIS truth and HIS word!

Today GOD has revealed to me that HE wants me to see people how HE sees them.  HE has let me know that it is especially when HE brings difficult people into my life, it is NOT to punish me, but rather to teach me.  Lessons of humility, love, and grace, forgiveness, and hope are what HE is seeking daily for my life.  I must choose to trust HIM, and understand, that though I may not understand fully what it is that HE is trying to teach me, I must trust HIM that HIS plans for my life are what matters the most!

Today I am clinging to my faith in HIM.  Today I am going to be filled with HIS hope so that when I feel myself start to slip, I will know that HE is there with me, carrying me through the uncharted waters.  Today I am seeking HIM to reveal HIS love for me, and asking HIM to create in me a heart full of HIS love so that I will be able to love others just as HE loves them.  Today I am asking HIM to renew and refine my heart to match HIS.  A heart that is filled with faith, hope, and love.

I pray today that you seek the one who knows what truly matters the most.  I pray today that victory will be brought to your life through your obedience in seeking HIM daily.  I pray today that the balance you long for will be given to you when you seek HIM to teach, lead, and guide you through every single moment of your day. I pray today that you will know that living your life for HIM is what truly matters the most.

Blessings,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. I love the quote that God equips the called. He has the perfect home waiting for u. Both on earth and in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete