Tuesday, February 18, 2014

flawed.....

This past summer our family was gifted two cream colored couches.  These are probably the most comfortable couches we've ever had.   However, we weren't able to use them in our last house, as it was too small.  So naturally when we moved to our new home, and it was much bigger, I was excited that we were going to be able to use them.  

If you were to come over to my house these days you would probably say that we have a lovely home, but upon closer inspection you would see that most everything in our home is flawed.  The same goes for those two couches.  When I first realized that I couldn't clean them up anymore, and that they would be flawed... my heart sank, and that is when I heard this from HIM "Heather, do I not love you?  Are you not flawed?  Just as you are flawed.... so are these couches, but you will love them, and they will suit your family well.  It is because I love you that I want you to understand that being flawed.... doesn't mean that your are unlikeable, or even unlovable."

I had forgotten about that conversation that I had with HIM this past summer, well that is until I realized what today's teaching was going to be about.  HIS Daily Teaching today is HIS loving reminder to me that I must choose to NOT be so urgent in pointing out that someone is also flawed.....

I have three daughters, and two sons.  My job as Mama is to train them up right, to be able to help take care of our home.  Along the way of training them, as I have been for almost 15 years now, I have sadly pointed out that they too are in fact flawed..... 

This morning HE is wanting me to  know that I am very critical, and judgemental when it comes to others, because I am very critical and judgemental when it comes to myself.  OUCH!!!! That is a tough pill to swallow, as I don't want to be known as either.  HE is telling me I am this way, because of the way I was raised.   HE is wanting me to know that I too am  flawed.... but I am NOT a lost cause, I am teachable, so its time that I let HIM teach me WHO I need to be in my relationships with others, and what I need to say, and how I need to act.

HE first started off today's teaching with HIS word as it is written:

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33

HE is wanting me to say that I, Heather am in right standing with GOD, therefore because I am in right standing, I am able to do what HE says I should do, and my need to point out other's flaws, will become my need to fill them up with life-building words.   It is through HIS word that I am able to know and BELIEVE, and trust that HE is WHO HE says HE is, and that HE will do what HE says HE will do!

I am able to say this, because in my journey of seeking, and BELIEVING HIM, has changed my life.  Now days when I look at my life, my past, my present, and my future, so many things are so much clearer.  I have learned that the more I seek HIM, the more I find HIM, and the more I find HIM, means that I get to experience HIM working in my life, knowing that it is HIM working in my life.  In knowing this, that HE is working in me, I think that is really cool!

HE is wanting me to know that in order to love & like just as HE loves and likes me, even though I am flawed.... I, Heather must let go of my incessant need to criticize other people.  I must let going of my thinking that says, "oh I am not trying to hurt them, I'm trying to help them."  HE is wanting me to know that if something needs to be changed about them, then HE will be the one to do it.  I must keep my helping focused on myself, as I need all the help I can get!

Kay Warren's words really resonated with me this morning, "Because you're not happy with yourself, you're not happy with others."  HE is teaching me that I see that other's are flawed.... because I myself am flawed.... 

HE is wanting me to know that it is NOT my job to point out anyone elses imperfections.  This morning HE is working hard on my heart about gossiping.  Though I would like to "think" that I don't gossip, HE is wanting me to know that just by allowing a conversation to be about someone else, who isn't even there to tell me themselves, I am allowing gossip to enter my heart and mind.  HE is wanting me to know that when I do this, every time I allow this, it changes me, and it allows the world's view to enter my heart, and kicks a little more of HIM out of me.  I know that I need all of HIM in me, therefore I must be willing to shut-down any and all talks of gossip, and decline invitations that are centered around gossip.  

HE is wanting me to know that gossiping about someone is merely pointing out their flaws to other people and when I choose to gossip I am also letting people know that I am judgemental.  OUCH!!!  Okay, so it's getting real in here today!  

HE is telling me that when I choose to focus on a person that is flawed.... I miss out on the true beauty that is within them.  HE is telling me that if I am not careful not only will I miss that, but I will also ruin any chance that I may be given to have a relationship with that person.

HIS Daily Teachings today has really been staring me hard in the face, as I know that HE is wanting me to know and understand the importance of keeping my focus on HIM.  Though I have read the book of Romans in my bible before, NEVER have I understood the importance of HIS teaching as I have this morning.

"You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things." Romans 2:1

There is a saying about husband and wives, "Oh you know who wears the pants in that family!"  I was raised by this mentality.  That the wife needed to "train" the husband to be who SHE wanted him to be, and everything that she seemed to "love" when she first met him, because the very reason why she now "needed" to "train him."  I received this very advice from someone shortly after D and I were married.

That very logic didn't sit too well with me, and so I made it a promise to him and to myself that I would NEVER be the kind of wife who felt as if though she "needed" to "train" her husband.  Even through my promise, HE is showing me this morning that I have failed to keep it.  HE is wanting me to know that little by little I have made agreements in my heart about WHO my husband really is.  HE has revealed to me today that even though my husband is flawed.... he is in fact amazing in so many ways.  D is not "stupid or lazy."  He helps me with our five children whenever he can, he is a hard worker, who provides for our family in every way.  He is sensitive, and he has a heart, and he has feelings, and when I choose to be his "joy killer," I rob him of HIS JOY, and I ultimately destroy a little more of his spirit, and our relationship.

HE is really wanting me to focus on HIS words this morning, "Just as I love you, you need to love others flaws and all."

“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

This morning HE is reminding me to T.H.I.N.K. before I speak.  It is because I know that my mouth tends to run before my brain has even had a chance to process and because of this I have chosen to be critical and judgemental of others.

"We kill joy when we can't offer others non-judgemental love" Kay Warren "Choose JOY"

This past weekend D and I held a family meeting with our five blessings.  It had become very apparent to us that we were allowing worldly views to be the center focus on our family.  We knew that we needed to change our families way of thinking before all hearts, minds, and spirits were changed.  In searching for the answer as to what we needed to do, GOD lead us straight to HIS word.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8

Just as yesterday's teaching was about how it all starts with me, HE is wanting me to know that when I model what HE is saying in the above scripture, that is when I will be able to teach my children how to T.H.I.N.K. ~ T-is is true? H-is it honoring?  I-is it inspiring? N-is it necessary? K-is it kind?  It is because I do not wish to be raising critical, judgemental children, that I must get my focus off the fact that other's are flawed.... and get my focus on HIS love, and how HE loves, and seek HIM to create in me a heart like HIS, so that I am able to LOVE how HE loves.

"Where you put your focus and your energy is going to determine how successful that relationship is" Kay Warren "Choose JOY"

I am learning that I must keep my focus on what's right, what's good, and what's worthy of respect in people.  HE is wanting me to know that in ALL of my relationships HIS JOY is there.  Today HE is challenging me by saying, "MY JOY is there for the taking, are you going to be a JOY builder or a JOY killer?"  Today HE is wanting me to know that I, Heather, a broken sinner, who makes mistakes and falls on  her face daily am covered by HIS blood, and HE loves me..... flaws and all.  HE is wanting me to ask myself if I am able to love other's even though they are flawed....  "yes ,yes I am, I Heather am flawed... and it is because I am flawed.... I need HIM."

I pray today that you will seek HIM and ask HIM to soften your heart towards others.  I pray that during your interactions with people today that you will be able to see them for who they are.  I pray that you will seek HIM to create in you a love like HIS.  I pray that you will be able to move past the fact that you are in fact flawed.... and that other people are also flawed.... I pray for HIS vision to be your vision so that you will be JOY builders.

Blessings,
Heather 







No comments:

Post a Comment