Monday, July 22, 2013

"my way"

Growing up I didn't have control over many things in my life, but the one thing I could control was doing things "my way."  In choosing to handle my feelings "my way," I pretty much said to whoever was trying to teach me, "thanks but no thanks, I will do things "my way," and good luck trying to get me to change my mind."  I guess you could say I was VERY defiant.  I have allowed myself to be so emotionally  lead throughout my life.  I have now without even realizing it have taught the same to my children.... ouch, here comes a nice slice of humble pie!

Not only have I taught them to be emotionally lead, but I have taught them that "my way" is the only way to do things.  Things such as laundry, dishes, cleaning, cooking etc.  In keeping myself in the mindset of "my way," I have alienated the people who I love the most.  GOD has revealed to me that "HIS way" is the only way.  HE has shown me that it doesn't matter whether or not they fold things the way I would, or wash the dishes in order of the way I would, not everything that they do has to be done "my way."  In fact, I should be grateful that its even being done at all.  WHEW.... control much?!?  Why yes, yes I have, and well wait for it.... here's some more humble pie.

The thoughts that I had while reading and journaling this morning made me cringe in embarrassment.  I prayed to GOD to create in me a disciplined heart to not want to be so "helpful" all of the time.  I pray that I could "let go" of the incessant need to control everyone and everything.  I am so thankful for the gift of the books I have been reading, because they are so intended for me.  Joyce Meyer writes, "I spent years  trying to control the people in my life as well as my circumstances because I was afraid of being hurt or taken advantage of."  

This is so true for my life.  For so many years I thought that "my way" was surely the only way and D and my children were just crazy for not seeing things "my way."  Joyce goes onto say, " The only thing I achieved was constantly being frustrated and angry."  All I could think was, "Yes, this is me, was me, I am choosing a new mindset!"


Today I am realizing that we all have a "my way," when really we need to have "HIS way."  Today I am letting go of my incessant need to be "helpful."  I know now that all of my years of being "helpful" I came across as a know it all, and my family would sigh the moment I opened my mouth.  I know that instead of constant "helping," I need to be HOLY SPIRIT lead with all of my thoughts and actions.  I must model CHRIST for everyone who I come in contact with.  I must choose "HIS way" for everything so that I will truly live a blessed life.

GOD is teaching me daily about discipline and self-control. HE has blessed me with HIS fruit of the SPIRIT so that I can live my life "HIS way."   I must choose to be HOLY SPIRIT lead so that I am living the life that HE has chosen for me.  GOD wants me to say when I am experiencing pain and discomfort during a circumstance, "This too shall pass, and it will work out for my good in the end."  HE not only wants me to say it, HE wants me to believe it!

 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

I know that when I am feeling under attack by the circumstances of my life, I must choose not to let them run my life.  I must choose to give it all up to HIM.  GOD wants me to maintain a faithful and hopeful heart during my times of trials, and HE wants me to keep seeing things through HIS eyes, and love people just as HE love them.  HE wants me to continue to do HIS good works in my life and those around me, even when I don't "feel" like it.


"The best medicine is to do something good in response to the evil coming against you."

GOD wants me to know that Satan has NO control over me, therefore I shouldn't allow him to deceive me and keep me from overcoming the circumstances in my life.  I know that when I help others it not only gives HIM JOY, but allows GOD to create in me a JOYFUL and PEACEFUL heart.

"The happiest people are those who help others."

I know that everyday I am given the choice of how I am going to live.  I know that I must choose daily to seek HIM, and allow HIM to teach, lead, and guide me how to live everyday of my life.  I must allow HIM to create in me a heart for people, even when I don't "feel" like it.  GOD wants me to have a heart for people and to love them just as HE does.  HE wants me to treat people the way I want to be treated.  HE wants me to let go of putting the pressure of "my way" on others and allow  HIM to do things "HIS way."


"Do to others as you would have them do to you" Luke 6:31

I am choosing discipline today and am choosing to be HOLY SPIRIT lead, so that I am GOD honoring so that I can live a blessed life.  In choosing to be disciplined I am getting out of my own way, and allowing HIM to show me "HIS way."  I know that "HIS way," must be the only way for my life.  I know that with HIM I can make good decisions, therefore I must follow through.  I know that all of my thoughts, words, and emotions must be disciplined by me.  I must maintain a positive attitude when being taught, and allow HIM to humble me whenever necessary. "It is much easier to maintain a right attitude than to regain it once it is lost."


"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7


I know that GOD has equipped me with a sound mind, and has given me a heart of discipline so that I will do and see things "HIS way."  I know that though it may be painful to discipline myself I know I will be much better off in the long run.


"We can either make ourselves accountable or we will eventually be made accountable by our circumstances."


"GOD will put into our hearts the "right" thing to do in every situation, but if we choose not to do it, then HE will allow our circumstances to become our teacher."


I know that in my past I have allowed my circumstances to become my teacher, and it has been very painful.  I also know that GOD wants to be my teacher, and "HIS way," is designed to keep me from being hurt, as "HIS way" is truly the only way for me to live my life.  In choosing to live my life "HIS way" HE will allow me to live a truly blessed life!

I pray today that you will get out of your own way, by allowing HIM to renew your mindset of doing things "my way" and allowing HIM to teach you "HIS way."  I pray today that you will choose the path to freedom that only comes from HIM, and that you will allow HIM to create in you a disciplined heart.  I pray today that your "my way" becomes "HIS way."

Blessings,
Heather









No comments:

Post a Comment