Tuesday, July 2, 2013

oh no not that kid....

Yes, I am the Mama to the child that people cringe when they see come through the door.  My son  is 4 years old and has a mind of his own.  D and I try so hard to discipline him, but it seems as if though Satan is always one step ahead of us.  We find ourselves doing what is "easy" rather than disciplining him.  We tell our daughters to let him have what he wants instead of "dealing" with his tantrums.  I am that Mama.  When my son turned 1 he inherited the title of "Curious, Fearless, Little Warrior."  That title couldn't be more true.  He is truly curious, fearless, and behaves as a warrior.   When I had him I was already a Mama to 3 precious girls.  Who I would say were very "easy" to raise.  Sure I had my challenges, but nothing like what I was sooned be challenged with.  Up until he was born I didn't really struggle as a Mama.  However, throughout this past year his behavior has escalated so badly that D has to serve in his room at church in order for him to be able to attend.  I had quit taking him out on my own, as his tantrums were more than I could handle, or wanted to handle. I was that mom, the one who everyone stared at, and said, "oh no not that kid."  D and I know what a fun, loving, smart, quirky, kind little person he is.  We know what he is capable of, and so often misses out as other's don't see it too.  As I have been praying so much for GOD to reveal to me what I am doing wrong, and to teach me how to raise HIS "little warrior" I say, "Lord Jesus help me to bend him to your will without breaking his spirit."  My son is the only one of my 5 children with the most enthusiam, so much in fact he is the only that we make everything we do a game.  My daughters were wise beyond their years the moment they were born, and even more so now, as I have almost two teenagers, and a soon to be tween.  My son however, is my little guy, who is now a big brother to our youngest son, and I am fastening my seat belts as I can only imagine what it will be like when there are two of them running around.

GOD has revealed to me through my prayers that in order to be able to "handle" his temper tantrums, and training him up I must choose to practice self control.  I must model self control and discipline.  In choosing self-control and being disciplined  I will be able to do the things I don't want to do, so that I can have the things I want to have.  The same goes for me being a parent, I will discipline, even when I don't "feel" like it, and go to "battle" when I am called. 

GOD has always advised me to "choose my battles."  In every situation that comes up with training him up I need to say, "will this matter in 5 years?"  If the answer is no, I let it slide, however if it affects his character and pushes him towards being that obnoxious annoying kid, then I must push past the way I feel and do what I am called to do.  I don't enjoy disciplining myself, let alone anyone else.  However as a Mama, I have been called to raise 5 children, and in raising them I must teach them to practice self-control and to discipline them, so that they will be able to discipline themselves. 

"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.  Punish them with the rod and save them from death." Proverbs 23:13-14

Just as I am called to discipline my children GOD is asking me to discipline myself.  If I am over indulgent in doing what I feel like doing, then my children will choose the behavior I am modeling.  In choosing to surrender my feelings about my exercise I am now on day 20 of a 30 day challenge. I have been consistently getting into HIS word for the past 42 days now.  This is the longest I have ever stayed in HIS word, and my life is becoming much more managable.  I even made it through all of last week without yelling :)  As a parent that is a HUGE celebration!  I know that when I choose to practice self-control and discipline my children are watching me, and are sometimes in awe of me.  That means they want to be like me, so if I know that they want to be like me, then I better choose to model Christ Like behavior. 

I know that GOD has blessed me with the ability to have self-control and discipline.  Therefore I know that HE expects me to be able to control myself, and not be "feelings" lead.  I know that in order to discipline myself I must first admit where I am truly at in my cirumstances and quit making excuses of how I got "there."  I must choose to take responsibility even when I don't feel like it if I expect to have any success.  I know I will achieve self-control and discipline when I choose it for my life.  I must meditate on this thought, "I am disciplined and self-controlled."

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love." 2 Peter 1:5-7

"Showing love for all people is the will of GOD and should be every Christ Followers goal."

GOD has blessed me with the spirit of self-control so that I can obey HIS command of loving all people, and seeing them through HIS eyes.  When I chose to have self-control I will be able to restrain myself from doing something that will derail HIS teaching.  Practicing restraint isn't always going to be easy, however it is necessary.

"my son, do not go along with them, do not set foot on their paths" Proverbs 1:15

Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues."  Proverbs 10:19

A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense."  Proverbs 19:11

GOD has shown me that just as easily as people groan and say,"oh no not that kid," they can also say about me,"oh no not another "Christian."  If I am going to claim being a Christian or as I say Christ follower, I know that I must choose to model Christ's character qualities, and love GOD and love HIS people. 

Joyce Meyer says this "think of the areas in your life that you want to see improve, it could be finances, health, better organization in your life, how you think or what you talk about.  Then say, "I am a disciplined and self-controlled person and I will do my part to get my life in order.""  I, Heather said those very words 42 days ago, I knew that I needed something to help me in raising my 5 children.  I knew I needed HIM to lead me, and I was ready to become teachable and to be filled by HIS word daily.

I pray that today you will choose to allow HIM to teach you in an area where you lack self-control.  I pray that you will look to HIM as a model for how you choose to live your life.  I pray that GOD will bless you for your obedience and that HIS favor and blessings will be poured over your life.

Blessings,
Heather




No comments:

Post a Comment